Re: Access and Filter Predicate on same execution plan line

From: Jonathan Lewis <jlewisoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 13:02:15 +0100

Not true.
But thanks to (relatively) recent changes in the costing of index skip scans it will appear this way if the number of index entries per value of the skipped column(s) is so small that that take less than two blocks (which often means you need 3 or 4 hundred rows per leading values) before you'd want to see Oracle switch to an index fast full scan followed by table access by rowid (which is rarely does).

In fact I have a blog note about this costing change where I have 1Million values in col1, 1Million values in col2 and Oracle still does an index skip scan for "col2= constant".
https://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2018/05/11/skip-scan-3/

Regards
Jonathan Lewis