Re: ETL and Integration Teams

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 12:30:57 -0400

Hi Jeff

The answers are in line:

On 7/28/21 12:18 PM, Jeff Chirco wrote:
Hey everyone. Our company is very quickly moving from an on-prem only mindset to cloud and more cloud as we are getting ready to pick a new cloud ERP system. Which Oracle ERP is looking most likely.  We are starting to hire and build out cloud teams, this is not really a job posting unless maybe you live in Southern California

Are you moving to TX, FL or TN any time soon? Taxes in SoCal are huge and mask mandates for almost all restaurants except the French Laundry are absolutely atrocious.

But more wondering how your ETL and Integration teams are structured? Which groups are they apart of?  DBA, Developers, Sys Admin, or maybe just their own.  How does the dynamic work?  For a long time we have been writing all our own applications for the company, including our current ERP. So we have a lot of custom software running on Oracle DB with a lot of logic in the database. :)  But we have started to buy some SaaS systems and this ERP so we are in need to build out an ETL and Integration process.

In the company that I work for ETL groups are a part of development. There are two things to develop here:

  1. Scripts to load the data from an OLTP database, usually based on CDC, GG or similar stuff.
  2. Applications accessing the DW itself.

Both parts are functionally a part of the development.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant