Re: Best tool to automate softwares/tools installation/configuration on a ready virtual machine

From: Bobby Curtis <curtisbl_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 11:53:24 -0400

Ansible is a RedHat product, not IBM. Puppet is used for a much bigger implementations and orchestration along side Jenkins (what I’ve seen mostly).

I’ve been using Docker a lot to replace my VBox setups, but can be a bit limited depending on what you are doing (D-Sub missing in some cases - running on Mac).

Jenkins is a good tool for pulling steps together.

Overall, I like to us HashiCorp Packer to build docker images or even VMs. Just make for a be more repeatable process.

-Bobby