Re: Oracle database on Azure - suggestions and best practices

From: Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman <dbakevlar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 12:02:06 -0700

I'm just seeing this, but I really dislike the core licensing discussion, as I find it so very confusing for most people. We don't lift and shift the hardware, no matter if we're talking Exadata, (like we even could!) or standard onprem. We migrate the WORKLOAD. We use the AWR information on an average workload, then size up for peaks and translate it to Azure resource requirements. This takes a lot of the challenges out of the situation for us.
1. Most hardware is over-provisioned, (surprised me, but it's true for about 80% of our customers we work with) 2. We can ensure the VMs and storage we recommend will work for their current workload requirements.
3. The 2:1 penalty goes away, as we license by core and that core count so often goes down after this exercise.
4. The benefit of the cloud is scalability and flexibility of when you need it- size up and scale up with you need it.

This post
<https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/data-architecture-blog/estimate-tool-for-sizing-oracle-workloads-to-azure-iaas-vms/ba-p/1427183> tells you how this is done.

Thank you,

*Kellyn Gorman*