Re: Recommendation for Oracle Monitoring tool

From: Jack Applewhite <jack.applewhite_at_austinisd.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 21:16:17 +0000

Agreed about DPA. All two of us DBAs here like it a LOT for our Oracle-only suite of databases. However, a manager in another group got spooked about the Orion hack and we've not been allowed to use DPA, which, as Joe says, was not part of or affected by the Orion hack. Solarwinds even came out with a new version of DPA in December, but all I get is stonewalled when I ask anyone in management about firing it up for us. Really annoying.

So, I'm getting by with the DBA features of SQL Developer, which are nice, but not nearly as powerful as DPA. Probably because we're a poor ol' K-12 school district without the $$ to spend on all the extra-cost performance-related packs, which many parts of SQL Dev could use if we were licensed for them. But, of course SQL Dev wouldn't be the OP's choice for monitoring 3000+ DBs.
--

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9250 (wk)

I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. -- Mark Twain

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Sweetser, Joe <JSweetser_at_icat.com> Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 15:25
To: nguyen_ba_minh_at_yahoo.com <nguyen_ba_minh_at_yahoo.com>; oracle-l_at_freelists.org <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: RE: Recommendation for Oracle Monitoring tool

Warning: EXTERNAL SENDER, use caution when opening links or attachments.

I’ve had good luck with DPA from Solarwinds (we bought it when the product was Ignite from Confio). Solarwinds bought Confio and renamed it to Database Performance Analyzer. We use it for both Oracle and SQL and it’s nice to have a single interface for all the DBA’s (all 2 of us! :) ). It is focused on wait times as opposed to things like space or alerts, though you can write custom scripts for some of that.

Regardless, I would certainly seek at least a 2 week demo license from any vendor. Seems like all the tools are better once they know a little about your database(s).

-joe

p.s. Oh – standalone DPA is not part of the Orion product and was not compromised. Just in case you’re wondering.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Minh Nguyen Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 1:53 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Recommendation for Oracle Monitoring tool

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for firsthand experience recommendation for Oracle monitoring tool.

If you can specify what you like about it versus OEM that would be great.

We have over 3000+ Oracle and Sql Server that we monitor.

We currently use OEM for Oracle and SCOM for SQL Server.

We uses OEM for monitoring, performance tuning, as well as scheduling backup and probably a bunch of other stuffs that only a few people knows about.

I am perfectly happy with OEM, but management wants to know so here we are.

Management was wondering if there are better tools out there, for monitoring Oracle DB, that we should evaluate?

If it can do SQL Server as well then it would be a big plus. If not, then not a big deal. I am more interested in the Oracle side.

Not sure why we didn’t use OEM plug in for SQL Server. Nobody seems to know the answer.

Last thing I saw through the list archive is that QUEST was taking over the world by acquiring all the competitors and BMC was the only big competitor standing.

Is what Kyle Halley said in 2011 stills valid? "OEM and Foglight seem like the best"

https://www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/OEM-vs-Foglight,4<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.freelists.org%2Fpost%2Foracle-l%2FOEM-vs-Foglight%2C4&data=04%7C01%7CJSweetser%40icat.com%7C2f9a5fe21fea43784b8208d904ff1019%7C5d3bf30e9adb4c17b2425c17523e6e5e%7C0%7C1%7C637546315816765978%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=OtNbrAdk9y4noMisOBNJCPCUUGLxV8gB%2BCHD6u107rk%3D&reserved=0>

Thanks!

Minh Nguyen

Oracle Database Administrator

This e-mail transmission and any attachments that accompany it may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law and is intended solely for the use of the individual's to whom it was intended to be addressed. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, or you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use or retention of this communication or its substance is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately reply to the author via e-mail that you received this message by mistake and also permanently delete the original and all copies of this e-mail and any attachments from your computer. Please note that coverage cannot be bound or altered by sending an email. You must receive written confirmation from a representative of our firm to put coverage in force or make changes to an existing policy. Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential student and/or employee information. Unauthorized use of disclosure is prohibited under the federal Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. §1232g, 34 CFR Part 99, 19 TAC 247.2, Gov’t Code 552.023, Educ. Code 21.355, 29 CFR 1630.14(b)(c)). If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please call the sender immediately or reply by email and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Apr 21 2021 - 23:16:17 CEST

Original text of this message