Re: Significance of specific database parameter difference

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 22:53:42 -0400

Well said. However, I do prefer manipulating system statistics instead of setting optimizer_index_cost_adj. The effect is exactly the same. Setting SREAD to 0.1*MREAD has exactly the same effect on the plans as setting optimizer_index_cost_adj to 10. I've recently been told to not gather system statistics for various reasons which are beyond the scope of this discussion. However, both setting optimizer_index_cost_adj and setting the system statistics have one large problem: they are both instance-wide. To tell the truth, once or twice I did resort to taking shortcuts and using optimizer_index_cost_adj in the opt_param hint but I am trying to avoid that parameter as much as possible. I am also trying to avoid optimizer_mode=first_rows_<n> as much as possible. It is all well and kosher as long as the DBA knows what are the consequences and as long as there aren't any unforeseen consequences.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant