Re: Is ADG required for backing up from a standby

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 17:52:36 -0400

Hi Sandy,

No, ADG is not required. You can backup a regular, mounted standby in a state of recovery. The only thing that IS required is rman catalog. As with any proxy backup, rman will not recognize the standby backup as the the backup of production without the rman catalog.

Regards

On 4/19/21 4:20 PM, Sandra Becker wrote:
Oracle 12c on RHEL5

I have been asked if we can create a standby and do backups from there instead of through Commvault while they do some storage conversions.  I have read conflicting information as to whether or not Active Data Guard is required to run backups from the standby.  I can't open a ticket with Oracle to ask the question since management saw fit to cancel our support.  If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great.  Also, we do not use a catalog for our backups.

Thank you,

--
Sandy B.

--