Re: Slow running Delete query for same data volume

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_tanelpoder.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 10:14:39 -0400

The _OTHER_DATABASES_ category is "other I/O" reasons not *directly* tied to any single database instance. For example, asynchronously destaging blocks from flash write-cache to spinning disks is not specific to a single DB and shows up as _OTHER_DATABASES_. Possibly things like ASM disk resilvering (and rebalance) go under this category too, I don't remember off the top of my head. You could dive into cell level metrics for more detail.

Note that this particular chart shows you IORM *wait* times, not necessarily who generated the most I/O (and caused other lower priority tasks to wait more). So you'd need to dive into other metrics to see whether there was any spike in IO rates too.

And you should do a "hardware healthcheck" too, just in case some of the spikes are caused by a flash card reporting errors or a disk controller battery (that protects the write cache in front of spinning HDDs) going bad.

Some of these checks can be done via querying various V$CELL* views:

https://tanelpoder.com/2013/05/24/list-exadata-storage-cell-disk-summary-with-cellpd-sql-and-cellpdx-sql-scripts/
https://tanelpoder.com/2013/03/21/listing-exadata-storage-cells-and-their-configuration-info-from-vcell_config/
https://tanelpoder.com/2013/05/23/vcell_thread_history-ash-for-exadata-storage-cells/

--
Tanel Poder
#vConf2021: Troubleshooting Very Complex Oracle Performance Problems