RE: [External] : Sql terminator ; in q syntax query block

From: Jeff Smith <jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 20:13:21 +0000

You can turn if off with
set sqlterminator

SQL> set sqlterminator off
SQL> select q'[A,B,C,D
  2 E,F,G,H;
  3 I,J]' x
  4 from dual;
  5
SQL> From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Michael D O'Shea/Woodward Informatics Ltd Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2021 2:31 PM To: Oracle L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: [External] : Sql terminator ; in q syntax query block

Hi chaps, it’s an anonymised example but does represent an ongoing issue I have at the moment.

Other than replacing the semicolon with another character, does anyone know whether the SQL terminator can be turned off? There is nothing obvious showing up with a „help set“ in sqlplus. I am surprised that this is even an issue given the multiline string is inside a q syntax block, but it is.

Mike
http://www.strychnine.co.uk<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.strychnine.co.uk__;!!GqivPVa7Brio!Ir2IFv5lAgzTPz-WBT25i3X4T5R7IXovOH3h9QZYRufT3xWAtK6YKNykqLfBrEly0LY$>

SQL>
SQL>
SQL>
SQL> select q'[A,B,C,D;

ERROR:
ORA-01756: quoted string not properly terminated

SQL> E,F,G,H;
SP2-0042: unknown command "E,F,G,H" - rest of line ignored. SQL> I,J]' x
SQL> from dual;
SP2-0042: unknown command "from dual" - rest of line ignored.

SQL>
SQL>
SQL>
SQL>
SQL>
SQL> select banner from v$version;

BANNER

Oracle Database 18c Express Edition Release 18.0.0.0.0 - Production

SQL>
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Mar 17 2021 - 21:13:21 CET

Original text of this message