Re: Archive Log Size

From: Jonathan Lewis <jlewisoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 20:49:45 +0000

The block size of redo logs is the sector size of discs, which is 512 bytes (historically) and the archived redo log is an image copy of the redo log up to the highwater mark (unless you've enabled compression on archiving). New very large discs may have a sector size of 4K so Oracle introduced the option for using 4K redo blocks (which could mean a much larger redo wastage as Oracle doesn't backfill partially used redo blocks after writing them) or for emulating 512 byte blocks (which means potentially re-reading a 4KB block to fill the next 512 bytes on a write).

For a very long time archived redo logs have tended to be smaller than online redo logs, but initially that was because of things like "archive_lag_target" being set to force log file switches by time rather than waiting for filled logs (and only the used portion would be archived); but when Oracle introduced the whole multiple log buffer thing it became common for archived redo logs to be smaller (sometimes much smaller) than the online logs even when there was nothing forcing log file switches, See https://www.red-gate.com/simple-talk/sql/oracle/are-your-oracle-archived-log-files-much-too-small/

I think arcive_lag_target = 0 might be one of those funny zeroes that means use the default value (viz: 900).

Regards
Jonathan Lewis