Space reclamation

From: Lok P <loknath.73_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2021 16:18:01 +0530

Hello Listers, We have got three different Oracle databases with rdbms version 11.2.0.4, 12.1.0.2.0 and 19C. We got an ask from management suggesting to look into all the objects(Tables , Indexes) having >25% free space and get those reclaimed to have some storage back to disk. The intention is two fold 1)To have unused space back to the storage/disk(which in turns saves cost) 2) It may help us in improving the table/index scan because of compact size. And the team wants us to have those reclaim jobs set/run on a regular basis so that it can automatically find and run the reorg on its own . I have two questions here
  1. Should we go by checking the empty_blocks column and compare it with the total block to find the eligible segments and then rebuild those?

2)I read a few blog posts which suggest reclaiming space may not worth the effort because those spaces will eventually be consumed again by data insert/manipulation. So is that true and we should not take up this effort in the first place?

Regards
Lok