Re: A beginners guide to implementing ASM

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 14:46:34 +0000

You wouldn't extend the disk, you would add a new block device of the same size and then present it to asm. Create a disk for FRA and one for DATA. Use external redundancy as your SAN would take care of that piece. I don' t have much more information for you. We did follow this document when setting up back in the day. I don't know if it's relevant anymore.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/solutions/vmware-oracle-databases-on-vmware-best-practices-guide.pdf

Oracle Databases on VMware Best Practices Guide<https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/solutions/vmware-oracle-databases-on-vmware-best-practices-guide.pdf> © 2016 VMware, Inc. All rights reserved. Page 1 of 81 VMware Hybrid Cloud Best Practices Guide for Oracle Workloads Version 1.0 May 2016 www.vmware.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Steve Wales (AddOns) <steve.wales_at_addonsinc.com> Sent: February 24, 2021 5:51 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: A beginners guide to implementing ASM

Setup:

Linux 7.8

Oracle 19 (mostly, still got a couple I’m in the process of upgrading from 18)

The environments I work in are primarily all Linux on Oracle VM’s.

Our config is a stack or Oracle Hosts, running virtual machines through Oracle VM Manager (OVM).

The storage appliance is a ZFS Appliance.

Currently all of my databases use Direct NFS for database data file access.

When building a new machine the template is set up with a couple of virtual disks assigned to the VM that were defined to Linux by using ssm with something along the way of:

ssm create -s 59G -n lv_u01 –fstype xfs -p vg_u01 /dev/xvdb /u01

Then we create shares using the ZFS appliance console, and mount them to the server and manage those via dNFS.

I want to start looking into ASM. I’d like to run some performance tests on ASM vs dNFS.

I’ve started reading the ASM documentation and notes that I’ve been able to find on the Oracle Support site – and my first step appears to be to try to create disk presented to the VM and then configure it on Linux as a raw disk partition. Doc Id 452924.1 offers up a few examples of disk type to use and Raw disk partition is #1 on that list.

I guess related to that for down the road type stuff, how easy is it to extend a raw partition if you need to grow it down the road ?

Found an article on fedoraproject.org using parted, but don’t want to muck around too much without knowing what top expect, so I’m hoping to get some pointers from here.

I am not a Linux Sysadmin (I know enough to be dangerous) and I am not a storage engineer. Our previous Linux guy has just resigned and we’re still interviewing replacements.

So, anyone able to offer me something from their experience that might shed some light here. I don’t have a lot of spare time at the moment for a lot of the learn by playing around stuff so was hoping that someone might have some real life tales to share or pointers to links for my reading (since my Google-fu has found a bunch of stuff for mucking around in VirtualBox but that’s not what I’m using here.

Thanks

Steve

Disclaimer

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived.