Re: Deferred Segment Creation

From: Franky Weber Faust <weber08weber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 16:24:19 -0300

Hi Jared,

Not sure exactly, but what I know is that you won’t be able to find the data object in the dba_segments view if it was created using deferred segment creation, but you’ll see it in dba_objects. Also the data_object_id I think it could be null if segment was not created. I really don’t know about last assumption, but can be easily tested.

Let’s see others reply.

Regards,

Franky

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 at 16:14 Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Recently I have reason to know if tables/indexes/partitions were created
> with 'DEFERRED SEGMENT CREATION'
>
> As this is the default behavior unless deferred_segment_creation has been
> set to FALSE, probably it is most of these objects.
>
> But then again, deferred_segment_creation may be altered per session.
>
> When I went looking for a column in some DBA/SYS view that might show
> this, I could not find one.
>
> Perhaps it is very obvious, and I just can't see the forest for the trees.
>
> I know that this information is stored, for two reasons
>
> - the documentation says it is an option when tables/etc are created
> - running dbms_metdata.ddl generates the DDL with that bit included
>
> It did occur to me that maybe the docs are somewhat inaccurate, and the
> the current value of deferred_segment_creation may be what is used.
>
> Or I could test for it, creating tables with the different options,
> running dbms_medata, etc.
>
> Or, I could just ask here.
>
> Which sometimes leads to fascinating conversations :)
>
> So, finally my formal question:
>
> Can someone tell me how to query the data dictionary to determine if an
> object was created with deferred segment creation?
>

> Jared Still
> Principal Consultant at Pythian
> Oracle ACE Alumni
> Pythian Blog http://www.pythian.com/blog/author/still/