Re: Aurora PostgreSQL Support

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jcwilton93_at_earlham.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 22:01:37 -1000

Hi Goti

I’m an engineer on the Aurora team at AWS, and a longtime member of this list and the Oracle community.

DBAs who manage RDS databases have plenty to do, such as system architecture, lifecycle management, performance monitoring and tuning. With managed databases like RDS, DBAs can manage more systems with less effort, and concentrate on higher-level responsibilities such as designing the high availability and disaster recovery and test/dev strategies for your databases. DBAs still need to guide and design efficient schemas and understand the database features, functionality and internals of the database engine they are managing.

As an Oracle DBA working on Aurora Postgres, you’ll have the chance to up-level your skills and become a multi-engine DBA. Lots of things in Postgres work very differently than Oracle, right down to the way rows are stored and updated.

Let me know if you have any questions along the way. I hope you will enjoy working on Aurora.

Jeremiah

Sent from my iPhone