Re: Re: [External] : Re: Question on gathering System Statistics

From: Franck Pachot <franck_at_pachot.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 20:21:18 +0100

My usual recommendation for system statistics is: keep the defaults and if there is a query that has a better execution plan with different values of MREADTIM, SREADTIM, MBRC then the problem is not on system statistics but physical data model. Because there's no good access path and the CBO tries to find the "less worse one" with blind guesses on physical reads. Either make full scan faster (like partitioning) or index access faster (like covering index) and the problem is solved. The right access path should not depend on block access milliseconds because nobody knows if, at execution time, the I/O will be a cache hit in fast memory, or queued in front of a busy disk with many sessions waiting for it. Franck.