Re: [External] : Re: Question on gathering System Statistics

From: Redacted sender <David>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 17:27:07 +0000

As I recall,

Maria indicated.

1 it is incredibly difficult to capture representative stats.

You probably have different workloads overnight, at the weekend or even once a year, it is difficult to capture anything representative.

Not an issue here with no workload, but worth mentioning.

2 a huge number or Oracle performance problems that the support desk handled were related to poor system statistics.

3 apart from major releases, there is no regression testing of non standard system statistics.

Ie. If you use non standard statistics, you are far more likely to encounter hidden bugs and fringe cases in the optimiser that Oracle hadn't foreseen or experienced.

Care should be taken. Before any change I would encourage taking baseline plan statistics as a reference.

But I'd also encourage you to be very careful about gathering system statistics full stop.

D.