Re: db file multiblock read count

From: Jonathan Lewis <jlewisoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 09:58:53 +0000

There are only two points you have to consider -

  1. does a non-default value have any effect on the actual activity at the time of execution
  2. does a non-default value have any effect on the cost of the query, and would that make any critical plans change in an undesirable way.

Both points can be investigated with some very simple modelling, though the "actual activity" testing may require a little though to cover variations like parallel execution, direct path reads in general, possible effects on "small" tables; and the "costing" testing needs to consider the effects of system statistics (dbms_stats.xxx_system_stats) and/or the calibrate_io calls.

Once you've done the tests that are most relevent to your application and setup you may still find that leaving everything to default is the safest strategy.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis

www.avg.com
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail> <#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>