Archivelog deletion w/ ZDLRA

From: Herring, Dave <"Herring,>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 21:47:41 +0000

For those of you who are using ZDLRAs and have RTRT (real-time redo transport) configured, how are you identifying archivelogs that are OK to delete (on the protected-database side, not the RA, obviously)?

Every log switch creates an archivelog in ASM (disk) and another sent to the RA (sbt). Actually, the RA copy is considered a backup based on output from "list backup of archivelog all;". I can view the disk copies using "list copy of archivelog all;". All good so far.

But, the disk copies aren't expired. I've set:

RMAN> CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO BACKED UP 1 TIMES TO DEVICE TYPE SBT_TAPE;
RMAN> CROSSCHECK ARCHIVELOG ALL;
RMAN> LIST ARCHIVELOG EXPIRED;

... and get no rows. I also tried "CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG ... APPLIED TO ALL STANDBY;" but still no rows expired. The archivelogs might be obsolete, but Oracle RMAN documentation for the DELETE command states "... The DELETE...OBSOLETE command cannot be used when backups are stored to Zero Data Loss Recovery Appliance, commonly known as Recovery Appliance."

If "DELETE EXPIRED ARCHIVELOG" doesn't return any rows and I can't use "DELETE ...OBSOLETE", what version of "DELETE" should be used? Do most people do something like "DELETE ...UNTIL SYSDATE-1" and hope that RMAN would raise an " RMAN-08137: warning: archived log not deleted, needed for standby or upstream capture process" if an archive gets selected but hadn't made it to the RA for some reason?

I guess I'm having trust issues.

Regards,

Dave