tcp vs tcps on Oracle ADW

From: Robert Karch <rkarch_at_teleran.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 13:51:15 +0000

I have been struggling with setting up and communicating with an Oracle Database using SSL/TLS. In order to verify that I have the client side set up properly I have been testing with Oracle's Autonomous Data Warehouse. I have had some success and some failures (already reported to Oracle). I encountered an unexpected result from my testing. When I execute the SQL:

SELECT SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV','NETWORK_PROTOCOL') FROM DUAL Oracle's ADW it returns:

tcp
rather than tcps which is what I would expect when connecting using (PROTOCOL=TCPS) and knowing that the connection requires a wallet. The same query issued on an on-prem database returns the tcps value. Is there a reason for this or is it a bug?

Kindest Regards,

Rob Karch
Software Architect
Teleran Technologies, Inc.