Re: RU First or Last?

From: Mikhail Velikikh <mvelikikh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 18:59:17 +0100

Hello,

(1) apply the chosen RU to the 19c home before upgrading, or

This is an Oracle recommended approach that I always follow:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/upgrd/database-preparation-tasks-to-complete-before-upgrades.html#GUID-46F09541-C36A-4790-B3D3-E0E336A7BBC3

Before starting upgrades, update your new release Oracle Database to the
> latest Oracle bundle patch, patch set update (BP or PSU), or Release Update
> (Update), or Release Update Revision (Revision).

OJVM is required if that makes a difference

It should be present in the 19c home then. There is the OJVM_STATUS pre-upgrade check that fails if OJVM is missing in the new home: Database Preupgrade tool check list. (Doc ID 2380601.1)

Best regards,
Mikhail Velikikh