Re: anti-virus on Linux database server

From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 16:09:39 -0400

Hi Jeffrey,

From the question, I suspect most of your systems people have Windows background and assume everything must have anti-virus.

On an honest note, unless the Linux system is hosting a mail server and scanning the received mail before delivery, the anti-virus is a waste of company's money and will waste your CPU resource with nothing to show. There hasn't been any binary that has managed to spread itself widely enough that its worth taking an effort to accumulate a database of those signature.

So in essence, the AV just ship something that can only detect Windows based binaries and hence pointless for Linux. I suspect that they most likely go ahead with it, but ..

Regards,
William