Re: Parallelism and resource usage

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 20:56:25 -0600

Tuning parallel is tricky. Parallel query generally works best on AIX, sun-Sparc and HP-UX. I have had a lot of trouble trying to tune it properly in Linux. But, you set the parallel_max_servers setting to limit the number of parallel servers allowed. Often the optimum DOP is unique to the object, even varying by table or index. Especially on updates, high DOP will often result in a query blocking itself. Also in my experience DOP above 16 rarely improves performance, though on very high powered systems that could go higher. DOP generally works best as powers of 2.in RAC, very large queries can spawn across multiple nodes. If you are in RAC, either set parallel_force_local=true or make sure you have a high quality (10 gb or better) interconnect.

Sent from my iPad