Mixing Character Sets in 12.2+

From: William Beldman <wbeldma_at_uwo.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2020 18:10:01 +0000

I have a 12.1 non-CDB that is WE8MSWIN1252 and a 19.3 CDB that is AL32UTF8.

According to the documentation:
https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/12.2/admin/creating-and-configuring-a-cdb.html Oracle *recommends*:
"When moving a non-CDB to a CDB, it is best to migrate the non-CDB to AL32UTF8 first. You can use Oracle Database Migration Assistant for Unicode (DMU) to migrate a non-CDB to AL32UTF8."
However:
"When the character set of the root is AL32UTF8, PDBs that are plugged into the CDB or cloned can have a different character set than the root."

I can't tell if if I have an OEM limitation or not. I am running through the process in OEM to provision a new PDB in the CDB by migrating my non-CDB. The prerequisite check errors with:
"Database character set of "<12.1 db>" does not match the database character set of "<19.3 db>". This may cause migration to fail or may result in corruption of data."
and I cannot continue.

Is it possible to migrate my WE8MSWIN1252 non-CDB into a PDB on a AL32UTF8 CDB without forcibly changing the original character set first with DMU?