Strange developer ideas

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 18:46:13 -0500

i've got a request from a developer to use logical standby as a DW database. The idea is that "DELETE" and "TRUNCATE" commands on the primary shouldn't be propagated to the standby. I told her that such thing can only be done by using the Force, not the normal Oracle tools. I sent this as an argument:

https://asktom.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:22699268606133

Now, the PM in charge of the project on which the aforementioned programmer is working sent me nastygram,  accusing me of stalling and obstructing their project and colluding with Russians. I dared suggesting purchasing the Golden Gate license, which is completely capable of performing the required operation, but it wasn't interpreted as a helpful suggestion.

Just to cover all my angles, is anything like that possible with the logical standby? Has anyone managed to do anything like that? I have always considered standby a copy of the primary. Calling all Force users on this group, especially the ones dabbling in the Dark Side.

--

Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant

--