RE: Upgrading Data Guard DBs to 19c

From: Scott Canaan <srcdco_at_rit.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 20:24:17 +0000

Ok, I ended up getting through this by setting the shared_pool_size to 1G (it was 0, as AMM was supposed to manage it).

Scott Canaan '88
Sr Database Administrator
Information & Technology Services
Finance & Administration
Rochester Institute of Technology
o: (585) 475-7886 | f: (585) 475-7520
srcdco_at_rit.edu<mailto:srcdco_at_rit.edu> | c: (585) 339-8659

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Scott Canaan Sent: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 12:39 PM To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org' <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Upgrading Data Guard DBs to 19c

I have two databases in a data guard configuration, running Oracle 12.1.0.2. I'm trying to upgrade them to Oracle 19.4.0.0.

I'm at this point in the instructions:

Shut down the primary and physical standby database.

Stop the listener on the physical standby database

                lsnrctl stop

On the physical standby database only, update the oratab file and rerun the 'sid' command.

On the physical standby database, edit the listener.ora file to update all the references to the 12.1.0.2 $ORACLE_HOME to 19.0.0.0 and restart it running under 19.0.0.0.

Copy the physical standby database's spfile into the new $ORACLE_HOME:

cd /oracle/app/product

cp 12.1.0.2/dbs/spfileDGRDTSTB.ora 19.0.0.0/dbs/.

Mount the physical standby database(s) on the new Oracle home (upgraded version):

SQL> STARTUP MOUNT; Start Redo Apply on the physical standby database(s):

                SQL> select open_mode from v$database;   -check before alter
SQL> ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE USING CURRENT LOGFILE - DISCONNECT FROM SESSION; When I get to the startup mount step, I get an ORA-04031. The databases are set up to use AMM. There is plenty of RAM:
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:       65808180     1320792    20449612     1330480    44037776    62521564
Swap:      33535996           0    33535996

The AMM settings are:

*.memory_max_target=30064771072
*.memory_target=30064771072

If I put the environment back to 12.1.0.2, the database starts up fine.

What is the difference?