Re: oracle v SS

From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2019 07:49:07 -0700

One major thing (to me) that everybody has neglected to mention so far, is application development.

To me, Apex is far superior (and free) to anything Microsoft has. That has always been one of my criteria, which back-end system has the best option for applications and application development. If you have an overly complication application that cost big bucks, and your organization is always using contractors to come in fix different parts, or to add new features, because they are too cheap to have in-house knowledge, Oracle and Apex may be the best contender. Most DBA's can fairly easily create fairly complex Apex apps with just their PL/SQL knowledge.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 6:40 PM Thomas Roach <troach_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> You’re right. Thomas couldn’t have been the original PM for PL/SQL because
> he joined in 1996. He was at one point a PM for it.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 8, 2019, at 7:04 PM, Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Could be.
>
> I worked with Dan after he left Oracle, where he told everyone he had been
> the product manager for PL/SQL. As PL/SQL was introduced in 1989 in Oracle
> v6, and we worked together in 1992, it seemed possible. It is probable he
> was a developer on the team, now that I consider it.
>
> I wrote about working with him in the chapter "Bad CaRMa
> <https://www.red-gate.com/simple-talk/opinion/opinion-pieces/bad-carma/>"
> in the book "Oracle Insights: Tales of the Oak Table
> <https://www.amazon.com/Oracle-Insights-Tales-Oak-Table/dp/1590593871>",
> where Dan was identified as "Randy".
>

> On 11/8/19 2:53 PM, Thomas Roach wrote:
>
> I was told it was Thomas Kurian.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 8, 2019, at 5:36 PM, Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com>
> <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Dan Klein
>
> On Fri, Nov 8, 2019, 14:18 Thomas Roach <troach_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Pop quiz. Who was the original product manager for PL/SQL?
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> > On Nov 8, 2019, at 4:51 PM, Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman <dbakevlar_at_gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> --

-- Bill Ferguson