Re: oracle v SS

From: Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman <dbakevlar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 16:00:22 -0800

I have to jump in on this one, as there are a few things that need to be discussed further:

-Always on Availability Groups, (AG) vs. RAC: Due to OS level clustering well known in the Windows world, the AG product isn't a clear apples and apples comparison. They didn't find it productive for any writes to go back from the replicas to the primary, so AG is more like Data Guard than RAC. For the data migrations I do to Azure of Oracle databases, I will undoubtedly talk them out of RAC, as there's better solutions and Data Guard rocks in the cloud on VMs with Far Sync, even for those customers that may correctly be looking at RAC for scalability.

  • Another suspicious default in SQL Server is "clustered index" (as opposed to heap table) as a data storage structure, which is similar to index organized table (IOT) in Oracle, just the IOTs performs much better because of the smarter implementation. SQL Server architecture is different. Clustered indexes perform very efficiently vs. an IOT in Oracle, which has a very unique use case, but there is also less need for memory in the TempDB for sorting due to this design, (no PGA, either). Keep in mind, it's again not an apple to apple comparison when you only take the index structure into consideration.
  • Oracle/Linux troubleshooting/performance tuning features are superior! SQL Server is slowly catching up, but it's still way beyond Oracle. SQL Server is on Linux, which offers similar optimization tool availability.
  • SQL Server comes with BI components (Reporting & Analysis Server, SSIS). Most newer, advanced, more efficient products are not in SQL Server, but Azure DB and Azure in general. Power BI, Analysis Server, Hyperscale, Azure Data Factory). It may be less popular in the Oracle world, but I'm at one of the largest Microsoft conferences today and I can tell you, most of us have moved to the cloud and cloud products. SQL Server outside of Azure is when we have no other choice. There's so much more available in Azure.

Thanks, hope this helps!

*Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman*
DBAKevlar Blog <http://dbakevlar.com>
President Denver SQL Server User Group <http://denversql.org/> about.me/dbakevlar