Re: Linux

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 20:23:11 +0100

> Hi.

RE: "But I don't get why the team told you not yet"

I said, "I asked about hard partitioning at OOW19 and was told not yet". OOW19 was a few weeks ago, and at that point the official policy in its current form hadn't been released. I'm under NDA with Oracle, so I get to hear some things early, but can't say anything. This is one of those things. At OOW19, the official line was that Oracle didn't recognise KVM partitioning as hard partitioning, but I knew it was planned once the legal stuff had been cleared. Since then, the legal stuff has all taken place and a new policy document has been released, which you saw linked above.

Things are rarely about tech. They are nearly always about politics unfortunately.

I think we are all waiting to see what the recent "VMware Cloud Foundation on Oracle Cloud" announcement might mean. It would be good if some of the certification/support/licensing confusion got cleared up along with this deal, but I'm not holding my breath. :)

Cheers

Tim...