Re: Connect hangs sqlplus

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_tanelpoder.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 15:25:37 -0400

Yep, recovery area / archive log stuck shouldn't affect SYSDBA connections as they don't log their audit to in-database tables.

When the audit dump destination is full, wouldn't you get an error message instead of hanging?

Howard mentioned in a private reply that the DB isn't even up, can't connect to start it.

So in this case run:

  1. *sqlplus "/as sysdba"* (it hangs)
  2. use *ps* to find the sqlplus child process PID (there will be an oracle process with BEQ connection type under your sqlplus process as a child for local connections)
  3. run *pstack PID* to see where that oracle process is stuck

If there's not even an oracle process started and the sqlplus doesn't have any child processes, then you could run pstack on sqlplus itself to see where it's stuck or use *strace -f sqlplus "/as sysdba"* to see where it gets stuck.

Tanel