Re: How to validate sqlnet.ora settings

From: Adric Norris <landstander668_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 12:15:04 -0500

While a reload won't affect existing connections, it *does* have the unfortunate side effect of discarding all dynamic service registrations... behaving much more like a restart than you're likely expecting.So you can expect to see periodic "ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor" errors until the database instances re-register. In a RAC configuration this change does *not* propagate to the SCAN listener, so it will happily continue to direct clients to the temporarily impaired node. This is true through at least version 18.5... I haven't tested on a 19c environment yet.

For a non-clustered environments, you're going to want to plan for a brief period of disrupted connectivity. It should be relatively simple to script an "alter system register;" command for each DB, if desired, in order to minimize this period.

For RAC databases you can simply stop all services on the local node beforehand using *srvctl*, and then restart them after all of the DB instances have re-registered with the listener.

--
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams