Re: Database upgrade/move I/O waits performance

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 17:07:58 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Lyall,
regarding to ...

  1. Depending on OS (Linux?) and used file system you are currently using page cache (with 224 GB of RAM and SGA_TARGET of 72 GB / PGA_TARGET 12 GB) - if you really got a storage problem you are currently hiding this root cause a bit (or more than a bit depending on your database size) and it will get even worse with DIO (FILESYSTEMIO_OPTIONS=SETALL).
  2. Data Stores on VMWare or storage sub-system? Do you use VMDKs or RDM? Do you also gonna split the I/O on different VMDKs in VWware and LUNs in OS guest? That's the problem I mentioned with disk/device queues.

In general there is a VMware best practices guide ( https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/solutions/vmware-oracle-databases-on-vmware-best-practices-guide.pdf & https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/vmw-tuning-latency-sensitive-workloads-white-paper.pdf ) but I would suggest that you should figure out and understand the bottleneck in your environment first before making any changes :)

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher Website: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK