Re: To LVM or not to LVM?

From: Rich J <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 08:31:50 -0500

On 2019/05/08 01:27, Stefan Koehler wrote:

I should have read this more closely...

> the first question would be - are you using VMFS or RDM for your "virtual disks"?

Not sure, as I'm not the vSphere person. I guess I assumed (poorly) that it would be VMFS. Why?

> However go for LVM - especially if you have some I/O intensive databases because of you can easily spread out the I/O load over several VSCSI/LUNs/Virtual Disks with LVM (even use of disk queues).
>
> Recommendation based on experience and a lot of SLOB benchmarks in client environments (also with All-Flash SAN): LVM + XFS.

Coming from an XIV, where there's near-zero control over where LUNs are created (and that worked very well for us), I'm interested in how this SAN will be setup. I'm thinking it'll be some RAID5/RAID6, but that's just a guess. If that's the case, then I can see potential for LVM in creating small(er) LUNs and grouping the corresponding PVs into a VG to spread the load with a striped LV.

I think my brain's light bulb is starting to glow now...

Thanks!
Rich