Re: XFS vs Ext4 redux -- preferences/warnings/etc

From: Yong Huang <"Yong>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 21:09:55 +0000 (UTC)

> I'm planning an install/migration of 12.2 on OEL7, no ASM. So, should I
> use XFS or Ext4?

One thing I like about XFS is that it doesn't use page cache unnecessarily. For example, gzip'ping a big file on an ext? file system quickly reduces free memory to the point that the kernel kswapd thread kicks in periodically. This won't happen on XFS.

We almost always store datafiles in ASM. Other benefits aside, ASM makes it impossible to accidentally delete a datafile. I wish some modern file system could implement the feature of allowing the content of an existing file to be in-place modified but not allowing the delete of the file. It may be just a small addition to the code that provides various file attributes.

Yong Huang