RE: Ctrl C in SQLPlus exits Windows

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 08:38:40 -0400

Roger that. It took ten (10) plus years to get one word added to the Unix installation document, and that didn’t even require a code change. To wit, the addition of the word “minimum” to the phrase

“system settings,” which was perhaps one of the most annoyingly boring and frustrating conversations had with about half of the 40-11 systems administrators who balked at raising settings over the values listed in the document, didn’t want to understand Oracle at all, and would not accept responsibility for any deviation in the installation document.

Good luck with a ctrl-c on Windows SR. No telling whether that is ignored as accepted behavior, hard to solve, or political. But I second Jared’s notion an SR might help.

Try typing a control-A in on a non-important session some time. I wonder if that has changed. I won’t spoil the surprise in case what used to happen still happens…

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jared Still Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2019 9:14 PM
To: lambu999_at_gmail.com
Cc: oracle-l
Subject: Re: Ctrl C in SQLPlus exits Windows

CTL-C is handled differently on Windows than it is on any other OS that Oracle runs on.

Linux for instance supports out of band breaks in the TCP stack, while Windows does not.

When a database on a Linux service is supporting a connection from a Windows machine, every 4th packet Oracle polls the client; kind of asking "are you still there?"

The out of band breaks are how CTL-C is detected on linux clients, while on Windows it is a polling operation.

It appears that there is a bug in the CTL-C handling for Windows clients.

It is kind of funny you referred to my 10 year old post on the topic.

  1. the poster responded that sometimes Oracle is installed on Windows. yeah, I knew that, as I had spend 8 years at that time adminstering Windows based databases, but I did it mostly from Linux.
  2. if thus is a bug, it is a very old bug. but sometimes you have to file an SR to get a bug fixed. Two weeks ago I got fed up and filed and SR for a sqlnet bug that has been around since at least 11gR2, but was still present in 19c.

you may want to create an SR. :)

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 00:00 Ram K <lambu999_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Installed Oracle in my home Windows PC and playing around with it. But pressing Ctrl-C always exits SQL Plus, when I run queries. grr... Tried searching online and found this:

https://grokbase.com/t/freelists.org/oracle-l/095myarkwd/11g-sqlplus-on-windows-and-ctrl-c

Is there a solution for Ctrl C only to interrupt and not to exit SQL Plus in windows.

--

Thanks,
Ram.

--