Re: Question regarding Oracle listener port change

From: Neil Chandler <neil_chandler_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2019 08:35:07 +0000

Yup. Changing port will only stop “dumb” stuff, like the proliferation of the Slammer Worm (which had a patch release 6 month earlier - nobody patched was hit).

Any focussed hack will not be thwarted by a port change - A port scan is a very quick operation. It’s a reasonable thing to do, but don’t be under the misapprehension that it adds to your security.

Regards

Neil.
sent from my phone

On 6 Apr 2019, at 01:27, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com<mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com>> wrote:

Changing port # is just security by obscurity , right?

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019, 04:52 Rakesh Ra <rakeshra.tr_at_gmail.com<mailto:rakeshra.tr_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Hi All,

We have full rack exadata server X5 version with 11.2.0.4 version DB running on it.. We changed the port number of scan and local listener from 1521 to 1621. I tried connecting to the database remotely using scan and default service with port 1521 , connection is going through. I also tried connecting to the database using scan and default service using 1621 port as well. With that also I am able to connect. Should I ideally get my connection request with port 1521 rejected with some TNS errors?? Or is this is expected??

Regards,
Rakesh RA