Re: Oracle 12c threaded execution

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 13:12:19 -0400

Hi Jeff,

I blogged about it long time ago:

https://dbwhisperer.wordpress.com/2013/10/04/multi-threaded-oracle-12c-architecture-on-linux-2/

Since then, I've seen that multi-threaded version didn't cause the problem with latches  when I've set OPTIMIZER_DYNAMIC_SAMPLING to 11, which was caused by an early bug in Oracle 12c. That is logical because

multi-threaded latches are cheaper than the multi-process ones. Also,
multi-threading architecture uses a bit less kernel mode than the
multi-process one. Other than that, you will lose "sqlplus / as sysdba".
I would suggest testing to see whether this new architecture fits your purposes. It is possible to switch between the architecture, you don't need to re-create the database.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant