Password case sensitivity 11g to 12c

From: Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 14:25:23 -0800

I am working on upgrading our 11.2.0.4 database to 12.2.0.1. In this 11g database we had sec_case_sensitive_logon disabled but I am enabling it in 12c. I have users with "PASSWORD_VERSIONS" set to "10G 11G', and on the 12c side I have SQLNET.ALLOWED_LOGON_VERSION_SERVER = 10 set in sqlnet.ora

However I am noticing that when I try to connect in 12c I have to enter the password in the same case that it was originally created on 11g even though password case sensitivity was off. I thought the sqlnet setting of ALLOWED_LOGON_VERSION_SERVER=10 would allow this?

My ideal behavior would be: in 12c users allow previously created users to authenticate with any case password, but for newly created users (or users that change their password) foce password case sensitivity. We have a lot of users and some of them may not realize what case they originally created their password with.

Let me know if you think this is possible.

Thanks,

Jeff