Re: Create 12c or 18c database in traditional architecture

From: Yong Huang <"Yong>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 20:06:11 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks to all who responded to my question. Stefan Koehler and Neil: The statistics ("60% non-CDB and 40% single-/multitenant-architecture on newer releases", "about a 20% adoption rate at my clients of single PDB") are quite interesting. Thanks. Niall: Thanks for correcting me (MGMTDB in a traditional architecture). John and Franck: The error running "select dbms_metadata.get_ddl('VIEW','DBA_USERS') from dual" in PDB is Bug 18668121, I think. Hemant and others: We've been running 12c for a while, except for 2 or 3 databases in non-CDB, all in lone-PDB. Modifying scripts didn't take us long. The DBA team now feel comfortable with the new architecture. One production RAC database (lone-PDB) has had several issues, the most serious one being that starting up one instance hangs the whole cluster. The previous SR suggested cleaning up socket files, which we did with full cluster downtime. The new SR called for an IPC-related patch, which needs a cluster shutdown again. There's no clear indication pointing to the CDB/PDB architecture as the culprit (as does the bug Stefan shows). But it prompted me to ask the question here about the community's impression of the new technology. For shops that will never budget for multitenancy like us, we're forced to embrace the architecture. If Oracle says it's the future, then it is. Yong