Re: SQL performance in prod

From: Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 15:58:49 -0700

Venky,

"Assuming there is not much change in the DB"

Let's narrow down the things that can change an execution plan...

  1. hardware change (i.e. #-cpus, # GB of RAM, storage, etc)
  2. application software change (i.e. change to the SQL text)
  3. Oracle software change (i.e. patch, upgrade, etc)
  4. initialization parameter change
  5. gathering system statistics
  6. gathering table, index, column statistics

When you state the assumption about "no much change in the DB", I am assuming that you're discussing items #1-4.

How about item #5?  Can you query the SYS.AUX_STATS$ table and display the column PVAL1 where PNAME has the value "DSTART" or "DSTOP"?

How about item #6?  Can you display the contents of DBA_TAB_STATS_HISTORY for the tables involved in the query?  Please refer to the useful blog posts by Uwe Hesse HERE <https://uhesse.com/2012/04/23/diff_table_stats_in_history-example/> and by Marcel-Jan Krijgsman HERE
<https://mjsoracleblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/more-statistics-history/> for more information, if necessary?

Hope this helps?

Thanks!

-Tim