RMAN not compressing controlfile autobackups

From: Rich J <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 11:33:11 -0500

Howdy,

So I ran into a storage space issue with our DR solution, where I found that RMAN control file backups are large-ish portion. Using v11.2 (for now), I have something similar to this in my RMAN configurations:

CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '/blah/blah/blah/%F';
CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 4 BACKUP TYPE TO COMPRESSED BACKUPSET; But the control file backups are obviously not being compressed, as I can gzip a copy of one to get a 95% compression ratio.

I haven't been able to find anything in the RMAN manuals, MOS, or the Freeman/Hart RMAN book relating to controlfile compression, other than a single example RMAN command. Which brings up two questions:

  1. How does one go about compressing the controlfile in scripted RMAN backups? As a separate command (e.g. with AUTOBACKUP off)?
  2. Given that it's difficult to find information on controlfile compression, should I use it?

Thanks!
Rich