Re: Long Running query alert and kill process

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_dxc.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 19:43:29 +0000

And here is the SQL manual entry for ALTER SYSTEM CANCEL SQL for those who want to take a quick peek

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/18/sqlrf/ALTER-SYSTEM.html#GUID-2C638517-D73A-41CA-9D8E-A62D1A0B7ADB

Mark Powell
Database Administration
(313) 592-5148

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Yong Huang <dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org> Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2018 10:03:42 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Long Running query alert and kill process

Sanjay,

Not directly answering your question. In Oracle 18c, you can cancel the long running query instead of killing the session:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/18/newft/new-features.html#GUID-49F77A8D-CF54-415C-B04F-DB4CE733C513 Manual termination of run-away queries
A SQL query consuming excessive resources, including parallel servers, can be terminated using the ALTER SYSTEM CANCEL SQL statement.

As to monitoring a long-running query, I have a cron job that checks v$session_longops (joined to v$session) for elapsed_seconds. The job sends an email to me instead of killing the session. I'm sure OEM can do this too.

Yong Huang

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu May 03 2018 - 21:43:29 CEST

Original text of this message