Re: Performance comparison of Oracle Vs Aurora MySQL

From: Jeremiah Cetlin Wilton <jcwilton93_at_earlham.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 17:04:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

RDS provides three flavors of MySQL: Aurora MySQL, RDS MySQL and RDS MariaDB. They also provide Aurora Postgres, RDS Oracle and RDS SQL Server, plus a variety of other database and replication services.

Aurora MySQL is an AWS-built MySQL-compatible database engine with significant rework of both the MySQL front end, and a separate serverless log-based back-end storage service that retains the appearance of InnoDB from the perspective of the MySQL front-end, but which is in fact an AWS-native log-base storage service known as Aurora Storage Service. The same service is used by Aurora Postgres.

In terms of performance, various workloads perform differently on different databases depending on what types of access each database is designed for and what types of access the schema is tuned for. There is no one answer to which database is faster. Aurora is built for OLTP performance, and there are numerous blogs and performance studies available on the web. You might start by watching this presentation from AWS re:Invent to get a good idea of how Aurora works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPmKo2g9znA

Thanks,,

Jeremiah (who works at AWS)

Hi Mark,
Sorry that I missed that information.

Aurora RDS uses Inno-DB Engine.

Oracle 11.2.0.4 EE. Current Oracle Database configuration 40 CPU 160 GB.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 1:20 PM, Powell, Mark < [ mailto:mark.powell2_at_dxc.com | mark.powell2_at_dxc.com ] > wrote:

Ravi, which database engine do you plan to use?

Mark Powell
Database Administration
(313) 592-5148

From: [ mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org | oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org ] < [ mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org | oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org ] > on behalf of Ravi Teja Bellamkonda < [ mailto:raviteja.bellamkonda7_at_gmail.com | raviteja.bellamkonda7_at_gmail.com ] > Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2018 4:09:16 PM To: oracle-l
Subject: RE: Performance comparison of Oracle Vs Aurora MySQL Hi List,

My organization is planning on moving from Oracle to Aurora MySQL (capability of having Read Replicas) for the sake of performance and scalability which I am completely against as I believe that having the capability of scaling will not solve all the problems.

I cannot find any benchmarks comparing Oracle with MySQL. Can someone please provide insights on whether this is a even a good move as I am new to MySQL and not sure how good it is in terms of performance when compared with Oracle. As far as I know Oracle is better performant.

Your time is appreciated.
--

Thanks & Regards,
Ravi Teja