Re: DBA Job Functions

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 16:49:24 -0500

Hi Nenad,

The whole confusion comes from the fact that we are talking about two different processes. One is troubleshooting, which happens as a reaction to troubles of any kind. Typical example of troubleshooting is a question "why did my report take twice as long last night as it normally does?". That is troubleshooting.

Tuning is a conscious and systematic effort to improve performance of an application. It frequently includes not just code changes but also changes to the data model. Tuning is not a reactive process but a proactive process. Tuning usually happens in the development phase, as a part of the development process. Troubleshooting happens in production. There are certain similarities in the techniques involved, and that causes the confusion between those two rather distinct processes.

And then, there is trouble making, which is apparently something that I excel at.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant