Re: Got Questions: Golden Gate replication between cloned environments

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 09:02:42 -0600

Additional details.

  1. To clone the environments we snapshot the storage protection group and provide the snapshot as the cloned db (Pure Storage Array - take snapshot of Prod Disk Group, and mount that snapshot on Dev/Staging/QA servers as a dev/staging or QA database) The cloned copies (OLTP and DW) are in sync initially but eventually the OLTP and DW Dev/Staging/QA environments get out of sync:

OLTP Prod -- GGate --> DW Prod
(Clone Copies Below)
OLTP Dev --> DW Dev (no GGate)
OLTP Staging --> DW Staging (no GGate)
OLTP QA --> DW QA (no GGate)

2. Env:
DB = 12.1.0.2 64-bit
OS = RHEL 7
GGate Version = 12.1.2.1.170117

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 8:46 AM, Dave Herring <gdherri_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Through in a few version and env details while you're at it. I wouldn't
> think your scenario would be impacted to much with the release but we've
> had different issues where the release was critical in getting the
> requirement to work.
>
> On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 8:42 AM, Ls Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris
>>
>> I have setup in a few environments where QA environment is refreshed
>> using Storage Snapshots, works good. How are you refreshing the
>> environments?
>>
>> Thank you
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Chris Taylor <
>> christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We have Golden Gate replication in production and there is some
>>> discussion about using Golden Gate replication in the cloned production
>>> copies (Dev, Staging, QA).
>>>
>>> We refresh Dev/Staging/QA monthly.
>>>
>>> I don't know Golden Gate very well (beginner/intermediate) but I'm
>>> thinking this won't work in the cloned environments as the clones would
>>> lose the Golden Gate Extract process each time the clone happened and the
>>> SCNs would get out of sync anyway.
>>>
>>> Questions
>>> 1. Am I wrong in thinking this?