Re: Future of Oracle DBA - Man vs Machine

From: Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 10:56:25 -0600

Agreed, as long as it has been tested first.

It has to be disabled on production until it has been adequately tested in non-production.  Then, in production it can be re-enabled, the patch applied, then disabled again.

My father, who was a police officer, said he'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.  In our less life-threatening line of work, I'd rather be judged stodgy than let untested patches render me unemployed.  Particularly following the disaster with the recent July PSU discussed on this list
<https://www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/ORA600-after-July-PSU-apply-production-down>, one should certainly never trust patches or upgrades implicitly.