Re: Quick Question - Golden Gate PL/SQL objects (Source->Target)

From: Ryan January <rjanuary_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2017 10:26:30 -0500

It can replicate PL/SQL objects. At a previous company this was commonplace for deployments. It's not an issue in and of itself, however you do want to keep good track of objects which aren't replicated. For example; In that environment, there were two data centers. One was using even sequences, the other using odd. This was done to allow us to run in multiple DC's with little/no changes to the app (which is a mistake, but outside this discussion).

This situation made it so that we were replicating all objects except for sequences. When a deployment would run, and required the use of a sequence, the updates still required manual intervention in the standby DC. Eventually this was overcome by programmatically generating sequences.

If at all possible I would recommend avoiding that situation. The vast majority of our Goldengate issues stemmed from PL/SQL object and other DDL replication. In a green field scenario I'd push for data only replication and do what I could to persuade the company into an app/deployment rearchitecture that would allow for a data-only replication configuration.