Recreating Controlfile During Database Restore

From: Ronan Merrick <merrickronan1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 20:14:15 +0100

Hi Listers,

Database is 12.1.0.2 RAC on Linux.

Somebody restored the database, then discovered there are no controlfile or archivelog backups and the archivelogs from the time of the backup are gone.

The backup appears to have been a consistent backup. V$datafile_header shows all files with the same checkpoint_change#. RMAN shows all files having the same SCN in the backup.

I thought it would be possible to recreate the controlfile and open the database but when I try to open with RESETLOGS, it fails, saying datafile 1 needs more recovery. I tried simulating recovery with CANCEL but it still failed.

Have I missed something? Shouldn't it be possible in this case to recreate the controlfile and open resetlogs if the backup was consistent?

Regards,

Ronan