Re: Job Scheduler Forecast

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 13:06:47 -0400

Hi Donald,

There is a view called "DBA_SCHEDULER_JOBS" that will tell you who has a job to run in which window. DBA_SCHEDULER_WINDOWS gives you the details of the windows. If you want to schedule a maintenance, here is how to do it:

https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/ADMIN/tasks.htm#ADMIN12333

BEGIN
   dbms_scheduler.disable(
     name => 'SATURDAY_WINDOW');
   dbms_scheduler.set_attribute(

     name      => 'SATURDAY_WINDOW',
     attribute => 'DURATION',
     value     => numtodsinterval(4, 'hour'));
   dbms_scheduler.enable(
     name => 'SATURDAY_WINDOW');

END;
/

If you need to just stop everything immediately, you can turn job_queue_processes to 0 and nothing will run.

Oracle cannot give you what you want. Users have their jobs and Oracle cannot know what is important from the business perspective and what is not. While I was a DBA, I used "wedding process": announce maintenance in two weeks and explain that the jobs will not run. If someone has to say anything against that, raise your objection now or remain forever silent. If nobody objected, the maintenance window was scheduled. Frequently, I asked users to disable their jobs themselves. However, the list of authorized people was rather short. Each business application had a project manager, who had a list of batch jobs and knew what each of them was doing.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA