Re: Developers wanting individual Unit Test (no data) databases - suggestions?

From: Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman <dbakevlar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 17:35:41 +0000

Which would result in a storage purchase, scripting project to manage it all and lock into hardware. Delphix and a couple others work on any hardware, are cloud mobile and have a self-service portal so the DBA doesn't have to manage it all. The new pricing model makes it worth the look!

Yes, I work for Delphix...:)

Kellyn Gorman
Technical Intelligence Manager

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 1:31 PM Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de> wrote:

> Hey Chris,
> you don't need any special product for this purpose - just a CoW
> filesystem with snapshot technology like ZFS :)
>
> Best Regards
> Stefan Koehler
>
> Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher
> Website: http://www.soocs.de
> Twitter: _at_OracleSK
>
> > Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com> hat am 11. August 2017
> um 19:25 geschrieben:
> >
> > We've got a relatively large development group who want to have many
> Unit Test databases (without data) that they can spin up on demand and
> destroy when done.
> >
> > I'm curious what products are available that could facilitate something
> like this?
> >
> > I was thinking something like this:
> >
> > Unit Test (UT Master) - code replicated from production nightly (never
> used for testing)
> >
> > How could I facilitate users creating a copy on demand of UTMaster using
> something like:
> >
> > VMWare or
> > Delphix or
> > Docker or
> > something
> >
> > I'm basically looking to see what options are to accomplish something
> like this.
> >
> > I was thinking if we stood up UT Master on a VM, we could snap the VM
> into another copy for a specific developer on demand.
> >
> > Chris

[image: Kellyn Pot'Vin on about.me]

Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman
about.me/dbakevlar