RE: Re: Delphix deployment?

From: Chris Grabowy <cgrabowy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 14:25:36 -0400

Ryan, Jeremy, Steve…thanks for taking the time to respond.

>> For Oracle, it uses an RMAN backup to build the first copy and then applies block changes after that point.

So this statement seems to imply that we hookup the non production databases to this appliance. An RMAN restore is done “against” the appliance and like a standby database it accepts logs from the production database? And then the non-production databases can be “refreshed” from production with a click of a button as required by developers/testers?

I believe we are also looking at the data masking piece too since Security has been poking around looking for such a capability.

Again thanks for the responses.

Chris

From: Givens, Steven [mailto:sgivens_at_fnni.com] Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 2:14 PM
To: 'rjanuary_at_gmail.com'; 'cgrabowy_at_gmail.com' Cc: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: RE: Re: Delphix deployment?

Yes, it’s engine sits on VMware and provides a mechanism to virtualize your databases so that copies of the data can be distributed on other servers using minimal disk space. Ultimately app teams could have a self-service model to “spin up” test databases on their own. Delphix supports multiple databases. For Oracle, it uses an RMAN backup to build the first copy and then applies block changes after that point.

It also has a data masking tool we are looking at. We are just in the “browsing” stage right now.

Thanks,

Steve Givens

Lead Database Administrator

First National Bank

201 N 16th St, Stop Code 2252

Omaha, NE 68197

Office: 402-602-7812

sgivens_at_fnni.com <mailto:sgivens_at_fnni.com>

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Ryan January Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 1:05 PM
To: cgrabowy_at_gmail.com <mailto:cgrabowy_at_gmail.com> Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org <mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: [External] Re: Delphix deployment?

If I recall correctly it's basically an appliance that sits between your storage and database servers. It exposes itself as storage and abstracts away the underlying complexity.

On Jun 28, 2017, at 12:57 PM, Chris Grabowy <cgrabowy_at_gmail.com <mailto:cgrabowy_at_gmail.com> > wrote:

My manager is suddenly asking about the size of our non-production databases.

I asked why and finally got an answer that they are coming up with numbers for the purchase of Delphix.

I have heard of Delphix and I poked around their website. Looks pretty cool.

I am wondering if anyone can provide me a quick high level one or two sentence description of how this product is deployed?

Thanks,

Chris